Sunday, March 7, 2010

Activism Log # 3

Seabury Stoneburner

Nina Perez

WST 3015

6 March 2010

Activism Log 3

Activism:

This past week was a big step in our group. Katelyn and I were suppose to go Monday to talk to an Italian restaurant about possibly being our venue; however, do to family emergencies Katelyn wanted to go Wednesday. Wednesday was did not entirely work well for me but family definitely comes first. She had success on Wednesday and so FINALLY we have a venue. The discussion of Sweets By Holly being a possible venue came back into play because Andee finally got word that they were interested. Now we are possibly thinking of having two signing events for our project to make sure that everyone in the group can attend at least one, due to work schedules. After spring break we are all planning on having a meeting to discuss about it and if that becomes the plan then we will have to do a quick change to the fliers. Other than that, nothing else has really been going on. It was a little challenging for everyone to get involved in this project because this week was the week of midterms. I personally spent most of my week locked away in my room or in the library. I got a few fliers to make copies of so I can at least get donations while I am home in Jacksonville. I hope that maybe people I talk to know others around the area of Brevard that are willing to be foster parents and relay the information to them.

Reflection:

Establishing that have not one but two places interested in being a venue for our signing event has given me a small sense of relief. We were all putting our heads together to find somewhere and now I feel as though we are getting somewhere with out event. Having an event reminds me of Megan Seely’s Fight Like A Girl: How To Be A Fearless Feminist in the section about being active with your community. She talks about from step by step processes, which have worked out greatly for our group, to daily activity. She mentions to go out in the open and get people involved, which is simply what our signing event will do. We will stress the importance of this group and have those who want to contribute sign up for future contact. For daily activity she says; “No act is too small” (24). After being in this project and just simply talking to an acquaintance of mine I obtained a dog collar. Right there was proof that no act is too small. I simply mentioned why I was making photocopies of fliers and obtained a donation.

Reciprocity:

As a whole group, I believe we accomplished a lot this week. We still have another important discussion when we get back but now we have very good options. I honestly didn’t feel like I accomplished too much this week but there is more to be done that will get done. We have two venues that are in play, getting poster boards distributed to hang, and the fliers are almost completed. Once we get back together everything is going to work quite well. I believe the hardest steps are now behind us. This week we did talk a lot about what was happening, but the physical was not all there. Everything will soar when we return.

Work Cited:

Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York University Press, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment