Sunday, March 28, 2010

Activism Log # 6

Seabury Stoneburner

Nina Perez

WST 3015

28 March 2009

Activism Log 6

Activism:

This week was a little slow for me with being active with Animal Safehouse of Brevard. It has just been a busy week with school so I was unable to get out and collect donations. So far everything else is on track for our project. We are getting closer to our event at the Italian restaurant on April 11. I am excited for the outcome of that. This week I tried to spread the news of the event to my friends, in hopes that they show up. Unfortunately, school has been crazy this past week and will continue next week; however, I am hoping I can get some work done for our group next week and spread the awareness to others.

Reflection:

This past week, I feel as if I have not been stressing the awareness I should. In away this could be viewed as some women who remain silent about their abuse. Even though my case is completely different, many women are afraid to talk about the abuse they have experienced from their intimate partners “Although violence between intimate partners is illegal in this country, it is seriously under-reported because of confusion, shame, self-blame, loyalty to the abuser, lack of information, or income” (Kirk 262). Fortunately, Animal Safehouse is able to help those women who are strong enough to stand up for them; however, some of these women might have not vocal right after the incident.

Reciprocity:

The awareness of violence against women is important and should be treated very seriously. Animal Safehouse of Brevard has done a very good job making sure that the animals are assigned to safe homes. It is important that they are because the women can focus on their health and state of mind knowing that their beloved pet is safe. Animal Safehouse is a great organization because there are many women who are scared to leave their homes due to the love of their pets; some women may believe that that’s all they got. It’s a hard situation to leave a pet because it is more like leaving your own child. I will keep my motivation up to help make sure these pets that are rescued from violent homes will be kept safe till their mothers are in the state willing to care for them once again.

Kirk, Gwyn and Okazawa-Rey, Margo. "Violence Against Women." Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 257-273.

No comments:

Post a Comment