Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pink Art


Seabury Stoneburner
Nina Perez
WST 3015
20 March 2010
Pink Art

The downtown Pink Art Exhibit was certainly an entertaining event. I was very impressed with all the talented work that artist put into their projects. Among the art submissions it seemed to be that the bras were the most popular, considering the fact that many were sold within the first thirty minutes. There were a few that stood out to me that I liked. I loved the “Thing 1” and “Thing 2” Dr. Suess bra; I personally thought it was a brilliant idea. The New York City bra definitely showed that the artist put a lot of effort into creating the design. I was very impressed with the wiring work they did for the skyline along the top of the bra. There was one particular bra that seemed to represent the idea of an activist. This bra had a green jungle background with two monkeys on one side and then a phrase on the other. The phrase stated: “WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.” In my opinion, this demonstrates how someone can make a difference or change with just a little bit of help. Besides the bras there were some photographs hanging along the walls. There were a few that I noticed that were photos of the chest area of a woman. She has one arm covering her breasts and there is a phrase written on the arm, one had “CONQUER” and the other had “STRENGTH”. They are words of encouragement to women everywhere. These pictures represent how strong and determine women are when they speak up for a cause. There was another photograph that I was unsure of; however, it popped out to me. This was a photo of a woman looking into a hand mirror while applying lipstick to her. The odd part of this photograph was that she applied it to her lips but then managed to continue down her face and neck. I am not a hundred percent sure why this woman is doing this; however, I found it quite interesting. The last art piece that I enjoyed observing was the balloon woman. She reminded me of Sleeping Beauty, wearing a pink dress and having blonde hair. The balloon woman was very impressive and seemed to be a cheerful piece of artwork. Overall the exhibit seemed to be a success. The room was packed and I could barely walk around to observe the art. Well done to all the artists, who submitted their work?

No comments:

Post a Comment